Treatment and rehab of alcoholics do not come easy. Recovery calls for resolve, patience, and hard work. Nonetheless, becoming normal and sober once again is commensurate to the efforts of patients and their family members.
Remedy for Alcoholism
Families of persons suffering from alcohol abuse and dependence can look forward to different options. To start with, outpatient treatment for alcohol abuse is not hard to find. The crux is they need to understand the cardinal rules of dealing with substance abuse.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse provides a number of recommendations in initiating either an inpatient program or outpatient approach.
- Addiction affects the body, brain and behavior which means consequences can be devastating. Therapies must be implemented early on for successful results. Otherwise, late actions can mean worse conditions or even death. In most cases, confinement is not necessary since there are facilities that offer outpatient alcohol rehab Los Angeles.
- There is no common solution but multiple cures for drug and alcohol dependence. Different remedies work for different individuals. An effective treatment system must address all areas of a person’s life and not only the substance abuse. Programs must also address potential contagious ailments like Hepatitis, HIV, and Tuberculosis.
- Mental health disorders are frequently associated with addiction and evaluated as well as addressed by specialists in the treatment centers. Patients and their loved ones must devote adequate time to surmount dependence effectively.
- Physical detoxification is essential during the early stage of treatment. Experts in alcohol detox Los Angeles are aware of this matter. Long-term change in behavior calls for behavioral therapy and sustained support from friends and family members. This technique entails combination of individual, family, and group therapies. Medicines may be prescribed to complement therapy.
- Effective outpatient treatment programs conduct patient monitoring for probable relapse during the duration of the program. Treatment plans are modified from time to time depending on the circumstances and patient requirements.
There are several options for California alcohol rehab but the addiction treatment varies. This depends on the extent of dependence and the person looking for an appropriate treatment program. Vital components include the following:
Intake is the manner of finding out if the alcohol rehab center California is appropriate for the patient and the other way around. Rehabilitation personnel will conduct an interview of the dependent followed by diagnostic screening and laboratory tests. This may be the best way in determining the plan of cure taking into account specific need and stage of alcohol abuse. The facility staff will also ask about family history of alcohol addiction and financial costs of treatment.
The outpatient treatment for alcohol has to match the patient concerned. Fortunately, there is no dearth of options for alcohol addicts. One of the keys is to look for the program that matches current condition. Rehab programs ordinarily last from one month to 45 days depending on the situation.
An outpatient center in Los Angeles is just like an inpatient facility except with one difference. Patients are allowed to go home every night after the treatment. This is more suitable for those who work or need to perform family obligations. Outpatient treatment for alcoholism is perfect for people with minor addiction. However, it is not advisable for patients in advanced stages of dependence.
Nearly all outpatient treatment centers oblige a detoxification part at the beginning of treatment. This is intended to take away all traces of liquor from the body. Doctors may prescribe maintenance medicines to alleviate withdrawal signs. The process is safe if conducted in managed medical institutions. For certain cases, patients are not permitted to detoxify in their own homes since these can be potentially serious. Detoxification usually lasts from seven to 10 days.
Medicines for Alcoholism
The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) gave approval to three prescription medicines in treating alcohol dependence. Other medicines are undergoing tests to verify their effectiveness and safety. These medications are:
- NALTREXONE to help people stay away from excessive drinking.
- DISULFIRAM prevents the metabolism of alcohol that produce repulsive symptoms like nausea and redness of skin.
- ACAMPROSATE makes it less difficult for maintaining moderation.
Not all patients are capable of responding to these medicines. This is why medical staff of alcohol rehab in Los Angeles must be careful in administering pharmaceutical treatment.
Regular consumption of large amounts of alcohol results in the body becoming accustomed to specific levels of alcohol. The body will experience withdrawal symptoms if liquor is eliminated. These indications may come out within a few hours or 24 hours depending on the consumption. Problems also emerge such as lack of appetite; tremendous depression; too much fatigue; inability to concentrate; profuse sweating; nausea; cramps; diarrhea; headaches; heart attack; and, many more.
Types of Therapy
Experienced professionals from a prestigious alcohol rehab California will usually prescribe individual behavioral, group, and family forms of therapy.
Under the first method, patients are asked to point out the first time they consumed alcohol and reasons for alcohol abuse. Counselors teach them strategies for coping such as recreational hobbies and time management techniques. Plans are formulated to avoid relapse. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) deals with thoughts of patients in relation to alcohol abuse, patterns of thinking, and their daily lives.
Group therapy recommended in Los Angeles alcohol treatment calls for group meetings so patients recovering from chemical dependency to intermingle with peers who are in the same boat. It helps them to know that other people are there to provide support during their struggles.
The third is family therapy. Outpatient treatment programs propose family therapy stressing the fact that family members should be involved in the process. Their loved ones are an essential element of recovery. In this case, family therapy takes the place of group sessions.
Choice of Treatment
Professionals in alcohol rehab Los Angeles, CA can offer the most practical advice when it comes to selecting a particular treatment. It is important to collect sufficient information about the outpatient rehab program.
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), treatment centers, medical practitioners collaborate to identify the best treatment to treat dependence on alcoholism conducting continuing research that can result in future advancement. For example, an anti-smoking drug known as CHANTIX was found to significantly reduce consumption and craving for alcohol. GABAPENTIN, on the other hand, was used for pain relief and epilepsy but is now being utilized to increase self-restraint and minimize heavy drinking. Those who have tried the drug reported lesser cravings for alcohol and better mood as well as sleeping habits. Then, there is another anti-epileptic medicine (TOPIRAMATE) can help patients to cut back the problem in drinking.
Here are some pointers that can help family members in choosing a program:
- The method of treatment that matches the patient. Medications and mental health concerns must be addressed properly.
- It needs to conform to evolving needs that come out in the course of time.
- Understand the patient’s expectations and requirements.
- Be prepared to assess the program and compare with other alternatives.
- Relapse or reversion to alcoholism can happen so make sure to address them.
Relapse is common among individuals who try to prevail over drug and alcohol abuse. Persons with drinking issues will possibly relapse during stressful periods or exposure to colleagues who also drink a lot or places identified with alcoholism in the past. Nonetheless, relapse is perceived as a temporary stumbling block to complete recovery. It is not a total failure. Seeking professional assistance can help avert any case of relapse. Behavioral therapy is a way of helping patients build up skills and triumph over triggers like anxiety that causes one to drink excessively. Some persons benefit from check-ups with their doctors on a regular basis. Medicines can also prevent drinking especially in times when people are at greater danger of
Journey to Healing
Recuperation does not end with completion of the rehab efforts. On the other hand, recovery means an enduring or lifetime course of action. It needs continuing work and earnest attention. Recovery is not trouble-free.
It is crucial for the patients to meet with their counselors before leaving a program for alcohol treatment Los Angeles. A plan for aftercare is imperative. Majority of alcohol rehabilitation centers offer many follow-up programs to help patients trying to go back to normal life. Some of these programs include weekend stays at the rehab facility if the person feels it is needed.
In fact, these patients have the prerogative to live in a sober institution for the interim with other alcohol dependents recovering from this kind of addiction. They can perform ordinary tasks and live normally or even take a job that fit their skills and education. Group therapy sessions are also carried out during the transition. Overall, the target for them is to recover and live normal lives after the storm is over.